Essays in Memory of Paul Brand and Ralph D. Winter. How does the Christian faith help us see into the true nature of life more clearly? Why do people suffer? Where do we come from? What does Jesus have to say to a changing world? What can we learn from great mission pioneers about seeking truth at the cutting edges of human knowledge? Faith Seeking Understanding explores such questions. Notable Christian thinkers such as Philip Yancey, Alvin Plantinga, Rodney Stark, Allan Chapman, Don Richardson, Yuan Zhiming, and more, share powerful insights that help answer the deepest questions people face in the twenty-first century from the perspective of Christian faith.
Inspired by the lives and accomplishments of Ralph D. Winter and Paul Brand, this book seeks to apply the curious, open-minded, and compassionate spirit these Christian leaders exhibited to key contemporary questions in science, history, philosophy, theology, and comparative religion. The reader will gain a fresh appreciation for the intellectual challenges of the Christian faith, and some of most fascinating and sometimes controversial ways in which those challenges are being met.
Introduction: Climbing by Faith
1. Philip Yancey: A Doctor"™s Defense of Pain
2. Paul Smith: The Contagious Humility of Paul Brand
3. Greg Parsons: How Ralph Winter Engineered World Missions
4. Bill Prevette: Marx, the Mob, and Missions
II. Christ in Culture
5. Miriam Adeney: Egg Flower Soup and Cherry Blossoms: A Woman"™s Life glimpsed through World Religions
6. Ivan Satyavrata: India"™s Search for Jesus
7. Yuan Zhiming: Amazing Grace for China
8. Conversation: Don Richardson
III. Christ in History
9. David Marshall: The Fingerprints of Jesus
10. Earl Palmer: The Resurrection
11. Conversation: Rodney Stark
IV. Christ in Philosophy and Science
12. Randal Rauser, The Prayer that Prayed Me
13. Allan Chapman, Christian History or Secular Mythology?
14. Guillermo Gonzalez, Faith Seeking Exoplanets
15. Ben McFarland, The Tree of Life
16. Conversation: Alvin Plantinga
The most impressive thing about "Faith Seeking Understanding" is the enormous wealth of material contained within such a relatively narrow space. David Marshall has gathered a really distinguished array of contributors, who have all thought deeply about faith in its global context, and the different essays work wonderfully well together. The book makes a splendid memorial to two truly great individuals, Paul Brand and Ralph Winter." "” Philip Jenkins, Emeritus Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of Humanities, Pennsylvania State University
No reviews have been written for this product.
This feature is only available for logged in users. Go here to create an account an enjoy the benefits of membership, including wish lists, notifications of products coming back into stock, saving shipping addresses and payment methods, notifications of sales, and special pricing.