A Biblical, Historical, and Practical Survey [With CDROM]. "No introduction to the global phenomenon of missions has been as up-to-date nor, in many a day, as thorough and well organized as this superb volume by three outstanding mission scholars." -- Ralph D. Winter
The book (first in a series) provides readers with a broad overview of the biblical, theological, and historical foundations for missions. It considers personal and practical issues involved in becoming a missionary, the process of getting to the mission field, and contemporary challenges a mission worker must face.
This valuable guide includes numerous case studies that consider important issues, as well as sidebars, charts, and maps that provide further details. This new edition has been updated and revised throughout and features a full-color interior. Additional resources for professors and students are available online through Baker Academic's Textbook eSources.
1. Missions in the Modern World
Part 1: Encountering Mission in the Scriptures
2. Encountering Mission in the Old Testament
3. Encountering Mission in the Gospels
4. Encountering Mission in the New Testament Church
5. Encountering Mission Theology
Part 2: Encountering Missions in History
6. Expansion in the Premodern Era, AD 30-1500
7. Expansion in the Era of Discovery and Colonialism, AD 1500-1900
8. Expansion to and from Every Continent, AD 1900-2000
Part 3: Encountering Missions as a Candidate
9. First Steps: Have You Been Called?
10. Missionary Preparation
11. Charting a Path from Here to There
Part 4: Encountering Missions as a Sent One and as a Sender
12. Personal and Family Issues
13. Strategic and Ministry Issues
14. Relating to People of Other Cultures
15. Relating to Churches and Other Shareholders
Part 5: Missions Encountering the Contemporary World
16. Communicating with People of Other Cultures
17. Mission Trends and Paradigm Shifts
18. Encountering the Religions of the World
19. Mission and the Future
This feature is only available for logged in users. Go here to create an account and enjoy the benefits of membership, including wish lists, notifications of products coming back into stock, saving shipping addresses and payment methods, notifications of sales, and special pricing.