Learning to Pray with History's Best Teachers. Do you sometimes find yourself searching for a way to approach God or wondering how to get out of a devotional slump? Do you long for spiritual guides you can trust?
This guide to prayer is rooted in centuries of Christian tradition. In each chapter you'll meet a figure from church history, such as St. Benedict, Martin Luther, John Calvin, St. Ignatius, Teresa of Ãvila and Andrew Murray. You'll learn how each of these spiritual giants uniquely connected to God through prayer.
Each chapter provides an opportunity to practice a different method for prayer, including the divine office, the Lord's Prayer, the Jesus Prayer, healing prayer and meditation on the Psalms. In the process your own prayer practice will be refreshed and renewed. Journey into church history and enliven each day of your prayer life. (Includes a small group guide)
"By seeing prayer through some of church history's most valuable mentors, this book leads us into practices that are both deep and accessible. It is a book that informs, invites and nourishes our hunger for God. Feast in it!" "”Mark Labberton, author of The Dangerous Act of Worship
Part One: What Language Shall I Borrow?
1. Praying with St. Benedict: The Divine Office
2. Praying with Martin Luther: The Lord's Prayer
3. Praying with the Pilgrim: The Jesus Prayer
Part Two: Praying with Scripture
4. Praying with John Calvin: Studious Meditation on the Psalms
5. Praying with Ignatius of Loyola: The Prayer of the Senses
Part Three: Conversations, Light and Dark
6. Praying with St. Teresa of Ãvila: Recollection of the Presence of God
7. Praying with the Puritans: Meditation in Writing
8. Praying with The Cloud of Unknowing: Contemplation in the Dark
Part Four: Asking God for Help
9. Praying with Agnes Sanford: The Healing Light
10. Praying with Andrew Murray: The Ministry of Intercession
Appendix 1: Using This Book in Small Groups and Church Classes
Appendix 2: Putting Prayer into Practice
No reviews have been written for this product.
This feature is only available for logged in users. Go here to create an account an enjoy the benefits of membership, including wish lists, notifications of products coming back into stock, saving shipping addresses and payment methods, notifications of sales, and special pricing.