Practices of Love: Spiritual Disciplines for the Life of the World
Author: Kyle David Bennett
Categories: Spiritual Formation
On Hand: 1
$15.29 (15% off)
Secure Online Ordering
Spiritual disciplines are often viewed primarily as a means to draw us closer to God. While these practices do deepen and enrich our "vertical" relationship with God, Kyle David Bennett argues that they were originally designed to positively impact our "horizontal" relationships--with neighbors, strangers, enemies, friends, family, animals, and even the earth. Bennett explains that this "horizontal" dimension has often been overlooked or forgotten in contemporary discussions of the spiritual disciplines.
This book offers an alternative way of understanding the classic spiritual disciplines that makes them relevant, doable, and meaningful for everyday Christians. Bennett shows how the disciplines are remedial practices that correct the malformed ways we do everyday things, such as think, eat, talk, own, work, and rest. Through personal anecdotes, engagement with Scripture, and vivid cultural references, he invites us to practice the spiritual disciplines wholesale and shows how changing the way we do basic human activities can bring healing, renewal, and transformation to our day-to-day lives and the world around us.
Introduction: Spiritual Heroin: How Not to Get Fixed
1. Spiritual Disciplines and the Way of Love
2. "What Do You Have That You Did Not Receive?": Simplicity and Renewed Owning
3. Directions for Ruling the Mind: Meditation and Renewed Thinking
4. This Is My Tummy, Which I Will Curb for You: Fasting and Feasting and Renewed Eating
5. Time-Out for Adults: Solitude and Renewed Socializing
6. Controlling the Chatterbox: Silence and Renewed Talking
7. How to Make Friends and Empower People: Service and Renewed Working
8. Work Hard, Consecrate Hard: Sabbath Keeping and Renewed Resting
9. Who's Afraid of Love? Everyday Discipline for the Life of the World
No reviews have been written for this product.
This feature is only available for logged in users. Go here to create an account an enjoy the benefits of membership, including wish lists, notifications of products coming back into stock, saving shipping addresses and payment methods, notifications of sales, and special pricing.