Learning to Read and Live the Bible Well. Over the course of the centuries, Bible scholars and publishers have increasingly added "helps"â€”chapter divisions, verses, subheads, notesâ€”to the Bible in an effort to make it easier to study and understand. In the process, however, these have led to sampling Scripture rather than reading deeply.
According to author Glenn R. Paauw, the text has become divorced from the Bible's literary and historical context, leading to misinterpretation and a "narrow, individualistic and escapist view of salvation." Rather than being a culture-shaping force, the Bible has become a database of quick and easy answers to life's troubling questions. But these deficiencies can be corrected by engaging in what the author calls "big readings."
In these pages Paauw introduces us to seven new (to us) understandings of the Bible as steps on the path to recovering one deeply engaged Bible. With each "new" Bible presented, deficiencies in how we currently interact with the Bible are explored, followed by recommendations for a new practice. The Bible's transformative power is recovered when we remove the chains Christians have applied to it over the centuries. The Bible does not need to be saved because of any defect in itself, but because we have distorted and misread it. Saving the Bible from Ourselves provides students of the Bible a new paradigm for reading and living the Bible well.
- Introduces seven new perspectives on Bible reading for slower, smarter and deeper engagement of Scripture
- Discusses the nature and development of the Bible, criticizing modern and postmodern abuses
- Engages Scripture as an unfinished drama readers are invited into
- Addresses the elegance and beauty of the Biblical narrative, emphasizing community-based reading and study
1. Our Complicated Bible
2. Unveiling the Elegant Bible
3. Our Snacking Bible
4. Savoring the Feasting Bible
5. Our "The Gods Must Be Crazy" Bible
6. Finding God in the Historical Bible
7. Our De-Dramatized Bible
8. Rediscovering the Storiented Bible
9. Performing the Storiented Bible
10. Our Otherworldly Bible
11. Grounded in the Earthly Bible
12. My Private Bible
13. Sharing Our Synagogue Bible
14. Our Ugly Bible
15. Beholding the Iconic Bible
No reviews have been written for this product.
This feature is only available for logged in users. Go here to create an account an enjoy the benefits of membership, including wish lists, notifications of products coming back into stock, saving shipping addresses and payment methods, notifications of sales, and special pricing.